30 March 2012

A Month of Maternity (leave)

I just started going back to work yesterday, and it felt absolutely AWESOME to get out of the house and back to work. Yes, of COURSE I would like to stay home with my new baby and with my kids, but after doing that for a month straight, I just needed some me time, and if going to work is how I get it, then I'm okay with that!
It's kinda crazy how quickly a month can go by when you aren't really paying attention or waiting for anything to happen. The first week after Bonnie was born was great, but then I started getting mastitis, really bad constipation and severe headaches. I had never felt so cruddy after giving birth before, so I called my doctor's office and talked to the nurse about the mastitis and she told me that drinking more fluids and eating more calories should help with the headaches and constipation. After I got off the phone with the nurse and thought for a second, I sure felt like a moron!
Here I was, resting at home with a new baby, thinking I was doing all the right things, but I hadn't thought about drinking liquids or eating food. I mean, I drank an occasional glass of something and snacked throughout the day, but considering that I drank a ton of water when I was at work and ate 3 meals a day and had regular snacks, I was really depriving myself! Not to mention the fact that I was losing fluids and iron after having the baby, and I wasn't putting enough back into my body to replenish everything. What a dope! I thought I was taking care of myself by holding my baby and sleeping all day...who knew!

So, after I started taking care of myself like a normal person, things got better and I got into a groove of keeping the house clean and organizing and trying to structure my days. I mostly watched a lot of TV, cleaned the kitchen and did laundry. I tried to get in some scrapbooking but I just never remembered or made time for it.
At Bonnie's first doctor's appointment she had only lost one ounce, so she was doing great. A week later at another appointment she had almost gained a whole pound! I can't believe how big she looks already, even though she is still small. We sure love having her around.


Bonnie laying on the couch after drinking a bottle.

 My little lazy boy, having a snack and watching TV.

 After I learned how to make homemade alfredo sauce, I just couldn't stand to buy it at the store anymore. I think Jordyn is glad that I made that decision.


 I found this cow costume in a bag of baby clothes someone let me look through. Jordyn barely fits in it, but I just had to put it on her. She was stinkin' adorable!

 Daddy likes to snuggle with Bonnie.

 Sometimes they do get along :)

 I remembered that I've had this play mat since Uriah was born, so I went and dug it out of the garage for Bonnie to lay on.

 I can't wait until she can reach up and snatch those dangling butterflies.

 This is what our back seat looks like now that we have 3 kids. We barely fit!

 Little Miss Bonnie likes to play dress-up too. A special thanks to my amazing friend Kira for making this tutu and headband for her (and one for Jordyn).

 Aunt Lana and uncle Ben went to Mexico on vacation and brought Bonnie back this adorable dress. I just HAD to put it on her!

 Jordyn and auntie Kayla. They both have great smiles!


You can tell they are both McCurdys! Their smiles look so similar!
Auntie Kayla is their favorite, probably because they get to see her a lot more than their other aunts!

Well, maternity leave was good but I am really liking being at work and having some time to myself. This feeling probably won't last long, and I might want to be at home with my baby after a few weeks of work, but I will enjoy it while I can. I can't wait to watch my little bon-bon grow up!

No comments:

Post a Comment