22 May 2018

Wile E. Coyote

There was another attack on our chickens. Last Saturday morning around 1, I was awoken by the sounds of our chickens clucking loudly. I decided to get up and go see what was wrong. I went outside and walked around the coop and run, but I didn't see anything and went back to bed. The next morning, the same thing happened at the same time. I got my robe and slippers on, started walking outside and about half way there I saw a coyote come around the corner of our run. It was about 50 feet away from me. We stood and stared at each other for what seemed like forever. My heart was pounding in my chest like crazy. I yelled at it to go away and it bolted. I went inside to wake J up. He got his shotgun and came outside, but by then it was gone. We lost 2 chickens this time. The coyote got away with 1 before I came outside and caught it in the act with the 2nd one. It had crawled underneath our coop and dug up the wiring we had stapled to the legs and buried in the ground. When I found our poor white chicken, it looked like the coyote was trying to drag it underneath the wire. Ever since then, we have been putting the chickens away in the coop at night. We got a leg trap from our neighbor and had been setting it up using the dead chicken as bait, but that didn't work. We are setting the trap up for one more week to see if the coyote will come back, but so far it hasn't. I'm really hoping I scared it away for good.



 Not long after the coyote attack, I was moving some boxes around on the back porch and I found this box that had about 18 eggs in it. Those silly chickens were flying over our old fencing and laying eggs around the house. 
Last weekend we had storm after storm and a lot of rain and we were unable to get the lawn mowed like we needed. One day after work I came home and was cooking dinner and taking care of the kids and I heard a lawnmower outside. Our neighbor had decided to come over and mow our lawn for us. I felt so grateful to him and so relieved that it had been done. 

Little miss Eva sleeping. She has learned how to roll over and is getting more and more active each day.

Eva and daddy chatting it up.

Bonnie's last day of school was Thursday. She misses it but I think she likes getting to sleep in.

Jared invited a coworker and her family over for dinner on Friday. They have 5 kids and we have 5 kids, so they had lots of fun playing together. Jared made me beef wellington (yummy!) as a late Mother's Day dinner. We had lots of fun chatting and playing games.


I found this bouncer on a buy, sell trade site for Eva and she loves it! It came with lots of extra toys from the previous owner.

Bonnie lost her first tooth!

The kids went to get the eggs and one of them was extra extra large! It turned out to be a double-yolker.

Twins!

  We planted the garden on Saturday and were probably outside for 7 hours. My neck got sunburned pretty bad. Thank goodness I was wearing long sleeves. We planted our usual stuff, but this year we added artichoke and eggplant; stuff I won't eat but J really wants to try. I told him we needed to scale back the garden this year because I'm working full time, but he insists that we keep it just as big as it's always been. He plans to get the kids a lot more involved. I'm hoping his plan works.

No comments:

Post a Comment