19 April 2016

Lest Ye Be Offended

Jared and I gave talks in our new ward on Sunday. When we had been asked to talk the week before, we were given 4 topics to choose from. I could have easily picked any of the topics, but the one I couldn't get out of my head was "being offended and forgiveness". I wrote my talk, one of the longest I have ever given. When I gave it on Sunday, I could tell everyone was listening. Not even any children or babies were crying. When sacrament meeting was over, I had so many people come up to me and tell me how good my talk was, that I had touched their hearts, or that they believed my talk was inspired. I decided to copy it down to my blog, so that I could always look back to it and remember how I felt on Sunday. 


My name is Kara McCurdy. My husband’s name is Jared. I grew up in Rupert and he grew up in Heyburn. We met while attending Minico High School. My best friend introduced me to him because he was her boyfriend. My friend and I were sophomores and he was a senior, and to me, that was just gross. The age difference between seniors and sophomores was huge to me, and I didn’t want to have any part of it. I didn’t pay any attention to him until he left on his mission and my friend asked me to start writing him. She had been writing him, but being Catholic, she got tired of reading letters about the truthfulness of our church and urging her to read the Book of Mormon, so she decided to Dear John him, and asked me to write in her place. Over the next two years, we emailed each other every so often, with the frequency increasing the closer it got to the end of his mission. When he had been home from his mission for 3 days, he made a bet with his uncle, who was 29 and single, that if his uncle could find a date for that same day, then he would find a date. Little did he know that his uncle already had a date set up, and he panicked to try to find a someone at such short notice. Guess who he called?



2 months later we were engaged, and 4 months to the day after his return home we were sealed together in the Jordan River, Utah temple. We lived in Pocatello for 10 years going to school and we had our first 3 children: our son Uriah is 7, our daughter Jordyn is 6, and our little Bonnie is 4. When Jared graduated and got a job at the Jerome hospital as a Respiratory Therapist, we moved to Twin Falls where our 4th child, KyLee, joined our family in September.



Our move to Wendell was a little less than perfection. The night before we moved, Jordyn was up all night with a stomach bug which caused her to sleep with a bucket in her arms. The next morning the bucket was no longer needed, but she was tired and feverish, so we did the best we could to keep her out of the way and make her comfortable. We really didn’t have time to give it a second thought.  Meanwhile, we were unloading our moving van with some family and friends when my father in law asked if we had called anyone from the ward to help us unload. It being Valentines weekend, we decided not to contact anyone because we knew most people wouldn’t be available. We told him not to worry about it. The moving truck was over half way empty and we would soon be done. However, not long after, I realized my father in law was on the phone with the Bishop, who then tried to call several people to come help. He was unsuccessful, but he and his wife came over anyway, and of course, by the time they got there we had everything unloaded. They graciously helped us put some beds together and a few other things, and we were very grateful for their help.

The next day we were preparing to travel to Twin Falls to attend our ward one last time. We were all getting in the car when I realized I had forgotten something in the house. The house had been locked, and neither one of us had the keys. Since we had just moved in the day before, we didn’t have time to duplicate the keys and neither one of us had really decided to take ownership of them yet. We checked all the windows and they were locked tight. We knew we would have to get back into the house eventually, so Jared swiftly kicked our back door in, on the house we had just bought and lived in for less than a day. I’m sure it’s a story we will be telling for a long time.

That night, I started to feel miserable and by Monday morning I could barely move from our couch. I managed to get myself to the doctor, who informed me I had strep throat. I wanted to tell him that I couldn’t possibly have strep; I hadn’t had it for 7 years and I had a whole house to unpack, but instead I just accepted my fate and the prescription he wrote for me. My body felt like it was getting worse throughout the day, and I called Jared while he was at work and I said, “I know we don’t really know anybody in Wendell, but you’ve got to find someone to come give me a blessing.” He said he would try, and he attempted to get in touch with a coworker, but was unsuccessful. It wasn’t long after that Jared said he saw Bishop Nebeker visiting a patient at the hospital, and so he asked him to come give me a blessing. I really don’t think that was coincidence.



When Jared got home from work that night, he came walking into the house like he had just gotten off a horse. I said, “What happened to you?” and he informed me that he had gotten sick all over himself while driving home from work, but that the bishop would be over soon to give me a blessing. Needless to say when Bishop got there, he turned right around and went down the street to get Brother Thorne, and Jared and I both ended up getting blessings that night. I am so grateful that the church, and the priesthood, are the same no matter where you are. That same week our other children got that stomach bug, and, with the exception of Bishop and his wife, so did every person who came and helped us move. What a welcome to Wendell!





I have spent several years, even from my adolescence, working on not letting things get to me. In high school, kids made fun of me and said mean things about me, but I had friends who loved me and made me happy, so I ignored those who tried to bring me down. It wasn’t as easy as all that. While I could ignore crudeness from my peers, it was a lot harder for me to ignore disappointment from those I held in high esteem, like teachers or my parents, or those in positions of authority. If I got a bad grade, or got in trouble, both very rare events, it made me an absolute wreck. It would eat at me from the inside for a long time. I couldn’t live with the idea that I had disappointed someone. Thus, I always tried to be the best that I could be. Since I was always trying to be the best, it made it really easy for me to be hurt when I found out that someone was less than happy with me. I had to teach myself over time that I couldn’t let disappointment get to me. It didn’t matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t make everyone I ever met happy. And so I learned to let go.



Until this one time, at church…

Before we moved to Twin, the bishop of our ward was a very kind and gentle man. About 3 years after we moved into that ward, he was released and a newer, much younger bishop was called. This new bishop was very quiet and he seemed timid. He was embarrassed easily and you could tell that he really struggled with the part of his calling that required him to shake hands and say hello to people. Still, he got through his first year as bishop well and I thought that he was really a nice guy and I liked him more and more each Sunday.



Then one Sunday, I wasn’t feeling well and missed church. I was sick and up all Saturday night and when I finally got to sleep, I slept hard and woke up just minutes before church was starting. At the time, I was the chorister for sacrament meeting. I not only felt physically awful, but I also felt emotionally awful because I didn’t have any time to call anyone to replace me that day. But the day went on and by next Sunday I was back at the front of the chapel leading the congregation in song. Two weeks after that Sunday I had missed church, I was sitting up at the front of the chapel flipping through the hymn book when our quiet and timid bishop came up and sat down next to me. I smiled at him: “Hey bishop, how’s it going?” My smile quickly faded as he sternly said, “Two weeks ago you weren’t at church, and you didn’t call someone to replace you. Someone has to be up here leading the music every Sunday. You CANNOT do that. Don’t let it happen again.”

I was completely shocked. I didn’t know what to say. I think I managed to stutter the words “sick”, “didn’t feel good”, and “sorry” before he got up and walked to the pulpit to begin the meeting. I was doing everything I could to hold back tears. I had to stand up and lead the opening song with a fake, forceful smile that I could barely manage, and I had to sit in front of everyone for the rest of sacrament meeting and hold my composure. As soon as the meeting was over I jetted out of the chapel as fast as I could. I don’t remember if I went to the rest of the meetings or not.



I stewed over his words the rest of the day. How could he say that to me? Am I not allowed to get sick? Besides, it had been two weeks since I missed church, during which we had seen each other at two separate ward activities and he didn’t feel the need to say anything to me then, but instead waited until I was sitting in front of the whole congregation. I was angry. I was offended. I used to scoff at people who said they stopped going to church because they got offended. Their testimony must not be very strong, I thought. Who stops going to church because someone offended them? Well, I almost did.





In a 1991 Ensign, Perry M Christensen wrote an article called “Five keys to keep from having your feelings hurt”, and it begins like this:

You have saved your money for many years and have made many sacrifices in order to purchase an expensive luxury car. Finally, the day arrives when you have enough money to buy it. As you are driving your new car home, you are interrupted by a thump-thump-thump. You pull over to the side of the road and discover that you have a flat tire. “I can’t believe this car!” you exclaim as you slam the door. “I spent all that money on it—and for what?” Without a moment’s hesitation, you pull a can of gasoline from the trunk, douse the car, and ignite it. The luxury car with the flat tire is obliterated in a ball of fire. Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? Who would destroy a fine car because of one minor problem? Yet how many of us have allowed a relationship we have nurtured for years to go “up in flames” because of one careless remark? Or how many of us have forgone church activity because someone has offended us?

Chances are that within our own ward and stake we will be offended by someone sooner or later. Elder Marion D. Hanks has said that the way we handle these situations may have serious ramifications: “What is our response when we are offended, misunderstood, unfairly or unkindly treated, or sinned against, made an offender for a word, falsely accused, passed over, hurt by those we love, our offerings rejected? Do we resent, become bitter, hold a grudge? Or do we resolve the problem if we can, forgive, and rid ourselves of the burden?

“The nature of our response to such situations may well determine the nature and quality of our lives, here and eternally.” (Ensign, Jan. 1974, p. 20.)

The following five keys can help keep us from becoming offended—or if we have already been offended, quicken the healing process:

1. Build a Firm Foundation

We are more easily offended when we feel insecure about ourselves. Do you remember a time when you wore an article of clothing that was out-of-style or that didn’t fit well? You probably felt self-conscious about how you looked. And you may have worried that the slightest giggle was from someone laughing at your attire—or that other people’s conversations were directed at you and at your appearance. It was easy to become offended, wasn’t it? Why? Because you were insecure about yourself.

To avoid taking offense, we need a firm foundation. We must be firm in our commitment and testimony of the gospel, in our sense of self-worth, in the knowledge of who we are, and in our sense of our divine potential.

After the incident with my bishop, I wanted to stop going to church, at least with our ward. I would have been happy to attend in another building, but didn’t want to take the chance of crossing paths with our bishop again. Even as I thought about that, it sounded silly in my head. In the days that followed leading up to the next Sunday, I kept asking myself one thing: is the church less true because the bishop offended me? Of course, I knew it wasn’t, but every time I felt angry about the situation, I repeated that question in my mind: is the church less true because the bishop offended me? This simple question got me through the next several weeks. It was because of my firm foundation in the gospel that I didn’t stop attending church, something I thought I would NEVER do simply because I was offended.

2. Understand the Intent

Although we sometimes don’t like to admit it, the intent of someone’s criticism may be to help us. We should be gracious enough to receive the criticism, understanding that the person may be trying to help.

Moroni, the Nephite military commander, was a man of God, “a man of a perfect understanding,” and “a man who was firm in the faith of Christ.” (Alma 48:11–13.) Yet, as are all of us, he was vulnerable to error. As he led the Nephite armies against the warring Lamanites, he sent a letter to Pahoran—the chief judge and governor over the land of Zarahemla—requesting reinforcements and food for Helaman’s army. (See Alma 59:3.) But Pahoran did not respond.

Moroni then sent another letter to Pahoran, this time criticizing him harshly for his “thoughtless stupor” in not supporting the armies: “It is because of your iniquity that we have suffered so much loss,” he wrote. (Alma 60:7, 28.) After a long letter criticizing Pahoran, Moroni concluded by threatening to come to Zarahemla to get the needed provisions himself, “even if it must be by the sword.” (Alma 60:35.)

Unknown to Moroni, Pahoran had not sent the reinforcements and provisions because he was having to fight his own battles at home: An insurrection had arisen against the government, and king-men—in league with the Lamanites—had taken control of Zarahemla. How did Pahoran react to Moroni’s harsh judgment? How would we feel if we had been unjustly criticized by a Church leader?

Pahoran’s response is a lesson in restraint and understanding: “In your epistle you have censured me,” he wrote, “but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart.” Pahoran understood the intent of Moroni’s criticism; Moroni sought only for the glory of God and for the freedom and welfare of the people. Despite the accusations, Pahoran was not offended; he understood and rejoiced in Moroni’s righteous intentions.

When you feel you have been improperly judged, falsely accused, or offended in some way, pause to reflect upon the person’s intentions. Frequently, you’ll discover that the intent behind the criticism was constructive and was offered in an effort to help.



3. Be Swift to Hear, Slow to Wrath

Why should we be “swift to hear” advice, complaints, or criticism? Perhaps because we honestly need to change something about ourselves; perhaps we truly need to heed the advice or the criticism.

In addition to being “swift to hear,” we should also be “slow to wrath.” It is easy to react quickly to offenses and to respond in like manner. Arguments can easily escalate from one caustic remark to another, with each person reacting to the other’s remark. When we let our emotions dictate a hasty response, we relinquish control of ourselves and of the situation.

Was I “swift to hear” my bishop? Was I humble enough to be “slow to wrath”?

I’m not really sure if I was either of those things, but I can tell you one thing: for the remainder of the time we were in that ward, I never missed leading the music again. I made sure I was there for every sacrament meeting, even if I was tired or not feeling well. For other callings I had, I made sure to contact someone to let them know I wasn’t going to be there, even if it was at very short notice. My intentions in doing so were to prove to the bishop that I wasn’t a slacker, that what happened that Sunday was a one-time accident, and that I certainly did not deserve his retribution. What ended up happening, however, is that I became a better member of the ward, someone who could be counted upon to do what was asked, and to show up when I was needed, even more than I had before.

4. Don’t Seek Revenge

Elder H. Burke Peterson related the experience of a group of teenagers who were picnicking in the desert outside Phoenix, Arizona. One of the girls was bitten by a rattlesnake. Instead of immediately seeking medical attention, the group pursued the snake and sought revenge by killing it with rocks. Unfortunately, during the precious minutes that the group wasted in exacting revenge, the poison had time to move from the surface of the girl’s skin into the tissues of her foot and leg; her leg later had to be amputated below the knee.

“It was a senseless sacrifice, this price of revenge. … The poison of revenge, or of unforgiving thoughts or attitudes, unless removed, will destroy the soul in which it is harbored,” said Bishop Peterson.

When we are offended, feelings of hate, dreams of vengeance, or misguided feelings of righteous indignation poison our minds and spirits. In the end, we are the ones most hurt. On the other hand, “forgiveness of others for wrongs—imaginary or real—often does more for the forgiver than for the forgiven. That person who has not forgiven a wrong or an injury has not yet tasted one of the sublime enjoyments of life.”

Perhaps the fact that I was trying to prove the bishop wrong was my way of revenge, because as long as I was doing that, I had the poisonous thoughts of anger coursing through my mind, and it felt like the offense was fresh again. It wasn’t until the bishop and his wife came to our home for a visit several months later that I decided it was time to forgive him. As he entered the apartment we were living in, I could feel those feelings of offense stirring inside me, but as we sat and talked, I could sense those feelings slipping away as I realized that, even though he had been called to be our bishop, he was still human and could make human mistakes. I know I had unintentionally offended others, so why couldn’t he? I finally let go of that one Sunday that had been eating me up inside for months, and I felt so much better for it.

5. Seek Reconciliation

It seems so easy for young children to reconcile. My son, Uriah was playing in the dirt with his sister, Jordyn. Suddenly, sand was thrown, feelings were hurt, and Jordyn started crying. I started toward the sandbox to initiate a parent’s patching up, but before I had taken two steps, Uriah reached out and hugged Jordyn. Tears stopped as quickly as they began, hurt feelings were mended, and siblings were reconciled. Then they both continued playing as before.

D&C 42:88.) “And if thy brother or sister offend thee, thou shalt take him or her between him or her and thee alone; and if he or she confess thou shalt be reconciled.” We need to take the initiative by seeking reconciliation with the person who offended us. The best way to do so is to quietly take the person aside and openly discuss the situation.

The Lord knew his disciples would face storms of criticism and severe persecution. (See John 16:2.) During his last hours prior to his crucifixion, he strengthened his disciples’ testimonies and provided them with an eternal perspective of who he was and who they were. Indeed, some of the Savior’s most profound teachings are contained in the chapters of John just before those that recount His betrayal. (See John 13–17.) Jesus wanted to fortify the disciples’ testimonies and build a firm foundation that would withstand all offenses. “These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended,” he said. (John 16:1.)



Do we, like the Lord’s disciples, need to work harder at not being offended? Testimonies and personal relationships are worth more than an expensive luxury car. How ridiculous to let them go up in flames when a flat tire momentarily disrupts our journey.

I had worked so hard for so many years to build up a thick skin and to let what others said and thought about me roll off of me, “like water off a duck’s back”, but all it took was one incident with someone at church whose standards I held above all others to nearly wash away the foundation I had built for myself. If it wasn’t for my testimony and firm beliefs in the gospel, it is possible I could have let that one incident destroy my spirit. I pray that we can all be quick to hear, slow to wrath, and eager to forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment